w|srÝdpeur}
uqvwlhvqhu
dsurplqhqwdufklwhfwriwkh
hzlvkfrppxqlw|
ÊÒËÑðËÒloodhxpdun
ÊÒËÑðËÒloodhxpdun
ÊÒËÎðËÏloodwhlq
ÊÒËÑðÌÓloodddv
ÊÒËÍðËÏlood¯q}
uqvw lhvqhu ôÊÑÒÓðÊÒÐÊõá d judgxdwh iurp wkh holwh fodvv
ohge|ulhgulfkkpdqqdwwkhlhqqdfdghp|dqgdqdgpluhu
ri groi rrvá vhw xs klv rzq dwholhu lq uqr diwhu ruog du dqgáwkurxjkklvzrunáruljlqdoo|ghyhorshgwkhvslulwriprghuq
wudglwlrqdolvpÜ q dufk ÊÒÌÒ lhvqhu pdqdjhg wr hpljudwh
wr qjodqg zkhuh kh ehfdph d forvh frðzrunhu ri wkh h{loh
jryhuqphqwdqgodwhuwdxjkwdwdufklwhfwxuhvfkrrovlq{irugdqg
lyhusrroÜ q ÊÒÏÒ kh zdv judqwhg d ghjuhh krqrulv fdxvd e|
dvdu|nqlyhuvlw|lquqrÜhexlowdqxpehuriyloodvvlwxdwhgrq
dvorshgwhuudlqlqwkhlv†un|glvwulfwriuqrÜkhvhvwdqgdvsurri
riklvdxwkhqwlfwdohqwÜ
ÊÒËÍðËÏlood¯q}
ÊÒÌÍloodhljo
contacts:
exhibition of Brno
functionalistic
architecture
exhibition project prepared by:
COPA
Kroupa Petr, PhDr.
Centre for the Restoration of 20th Century
Architectural Heritage
Vila Stiassni, Hroznová 14, 602 00 Brno, CZ
[email protected]
Vlasta Loutocká, Ing. arch.
[email protected]
National Heritage Institute
Náměstí Svobody 8,
602 00, Brno, CZ
Vladimír Šlapeta,
prof. Ing. arch. DrSc.
[email protected]
University of Technology
Faculty of Architecture
Poříčí 5,
639 00 Brno, CZ
Petr Kroupa
Vladimír Šlapeta
Vlasta Loutocká
Miroslav Ambroz
Zdeněk Musil
This exhibition is held under the auspices of the Minister of Culture of the Czech Republic, Mrs. Alena Hanáková;
Mayor of the City of Brno, Mr. Roman Onderka; Ambassador of the Czech Republic in Israel, Mr. Tomáš Pojar
In Brno, the second largest metropolis of the Czech Republic, in
a city with six major universities and eighty thousand students,
the Masaryk University Campus, CEITEC Institute of Technology,
FNUSA-ICRC International Clinical Research Centre cooperating
with the U.S. Mayo Clinic and other scientific, research and
cultural activities, arises at present a methodological center
for the research and documentation of the interwar period
functionalist architecture for Brno, the Czech Republic and
abroad, named COPA - Center for Renovation of the 20th
Century Architectural Heritage. It is established under the
National Heritage Institute and located on the premises of Villa
Stiassni, which is one of the most important residential buildings
by Ernst Wiesner (1890-1971). Brno, since late 18th century
being a city with a significant potential for engineering and
textile industries, quickly turned into a metropolis of modern
art and architecture with European reach in the second half
of the 19th century and especially in the period between the
two world wars. A large number of functionalist buildings for
government and private Czech as well as Jewish German
entrepreneurs are an important part of the substance of the city
and its heritage assets.
The task of the COPA centre – in cooperation with the Faculty
of Architecture, public administration and similar professional
institutions in the Czech Republic and abroad, is to contribute to
the protection, restoration and documentation of architectural
heritage of the 20th century. The center also includes an
extensive specialized library of Professor Vladimír Šlapeta,
combined with a study room available to researchers. The villa,
situated in a beautifully landscaped garden, will also offer
opportunities for exhibitions; a new modern on-site facility will
allow for organizing expert conferences.
One of the first events organized by COPA was the exhibition
“Brno - the city of bauhaus spirit”, presented to a great
acclaim for the first time last spring in Bauhaus-Center in Tel-Aviv,
which will continue to be directed to a number of European
metropolises. The exhibition depicts a great functionalist era
of Brno – the most important center of the Czech interwar
architecture headed by Villa Tugendhat by Ludwig Mies van
der Rohe, with buildings by leading Czech architects (Bohuslav
Fuchs, Jiří Kroha, Josef Kranz, Bedřich Rozehnal etc.) and their
Jewish colleagues (Ernst Wiesner, Otto Eisler, Norbert Troller,
Endré Steiner etc.). Many of them are known in the United States
because Henry-Russell Hitchcock and Philip Johnson included
them in the exhibition “The International Style – Architecture
since 1922” at the Museum of Modern Art in New York in
1932.
Download

exhibition of Brno functionalistic architecture